[c-nsp] Cheapening the value of a CCIE

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Mon Jan 14 02:46:56 EST 2008

According to the department of labor, if an outside consultant
is treated like an employee, he's an employee.  Several high tech
firms have been fined large amounts for tax evasion by attempting
to hire consultants and treat them like employees.  One of the litmus
tests is length of time worked.  A consultant is supposed to be brought
in for a specific job, that lasts a certain length of time, then
when the job is complete the consultant is finished.  There are
other litmus tests.  Hiring a consultant for a defined period of
6 months - like this advert is doing - without a defined job is
a big red flag.  Having the company use a consultants certification to
qualify for something they normally wouldn't qualify for is IMHO
definitely over the line, and the income tax people would be knocking
at their door if they pulled this stunt and anyone found out about it and
reported it.  Of course, this assumes that FINANCIAL renumeration
was happening.  Since this advert isn't offering anything other than
worthless "training"  (ie: training the person on what they already
have to know to have the CCIE in the first place) what they claim
they would be doing wouldn't apply here.

Ted