[c-nsp] SSO with ISIS NSF (IETF vs Cisco)

Ken Weissner (kweissne) kweissne at cisco.com
Tue Jan 15 10:51:36 EST 2008

Hello,

I've just joined this list, so didnt have a copy of the original email
to reply to, which was forwarded by a colleague.

>My observation is that Cisco mode is faster then IETF, in fact IETF
has as delay as being in RPR+ mode?
>Is IETF a GR? vs Cisco a SSO?

There should be no difference in length of outage if both these modes
are functioning properly.
IETF is GR mode, ie RFC3847.   "Cisco" mode is a "Non-Stop Routing" mode
that doesnt require
interaction with the peer to recover from the processor failure due to
the transfer of all state information to the standby.

A "RPR+" like delay could be that the peer to the switching over router
doesnt have helper capability.

Thanks,
Ken Weissner