[c-nsp] DMVPN single cloud with resiliency

David Barak thegameiam at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 17:02:39 EST 2008

Hi Luan,

I've built a dual hub DMVPN before, and it worked like a champ.  In my case, the two hub sites were ~15 miles apart, so there was good back-end connectivity.  I had dual spoke routers at about 15 remote sites, so there were under 40 routers involved total.

If you think of the capabilities of DMVPN/NHRP as being analagous to ARP, you'll be on the right track.

Conceptually, the difference is that of using HSRP on a LAN versus two routed interfaces: if you want some of your sites to prefer one path and some to prefer another, then dual-cloud would be better.  If you want all of your remote sites to prefer a single path, go with dual-hub.

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com