[c-nsp] ACE (4700 Series) experience

Ramcharan, Vijay A vijay.ramcharan at verizonbusiness.com
Fri Jan 18 14:20:19 EST 2008

Realize your question was on the ACE appliance. However I have
implemented and worked with the ACE modules. They are a big step up from
the CSS in terms of performance. Configuration is very different than
CSS. SSL cert handling is still a royal pain though improved from CSS.
Has behaved predictably. Can't comment on reporting as I haven't been
tasked with anything along those lines. Contexts are a plus. Have used
up to 4 (5 including Admin) and have been satisfied with the results
albeit two of the 4 contexts are in use as a dev/qa environment to mimic
the two other contexts that are in production.
Another pair of ACE modules are the front end web LBs for a large site
and has sustained web traffic loads well over 1Gbps without blinking.

Have also worked with BigIPs and NetScalers. NetScalers have pretty and
functional GUIs, even better than the BigIP. Performance with NetScalers
have been ok. We seem to run into various issues every so often with
them. Wouldn't really recommend them but then again, I've only worked
with them a short while.

BigIPs are great. Functional GUIs and good CLI and reporting as well.
Have configured these at a number of sites. BigIPs are our recommended
platform for load balancing. Their Support hours used to be a bit
lacking but they have gotten much better. They have some new high end
products approaching as well that should give the ACE competition in
terms of raw throughput. Pricing for these is probably going to be
sky-high but for the market they are targeted at, I don't think price
will be too much of an issue.

All said, I think BigIPs probably have the largest market share for good
reason (or a few good reasons).

Vijay Ramcharan