[c-nsp] RIB_failure

Suzan S. suzan_ccie at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 20 16:01:24 EST 2008

Thank you all for this info.
  Thanks Scott

Scott Morris <smorris at ipexpert.com> wrote:
  RIB failure is not necessarily a bad thing. There's no blanket response to
when/why to worry about it. You'll need to really evaluate what the route
is, why you are learning it from BGP and the IGP and see whether it matters.

Phil's correct, bgp backdoor is really designed for a specific purpose, and
that's not to just get rid of the "r>" appearance!

If you filter it in your IGP and let BGP win, you have the potential for
introducing a routing loop, or causing other things to fail when it comes to
recursive lookups.

So you really need to evaluate the why/wherefor that you have duplicates to
begin with before you can determine the appropriate solution for each
specific problem.

HTH,

Scott Morris, CCIE4 (R&S/ISP-Dial/Security/Service Provider) #4713, JNCIE-M
#153, JNCIS-ER, CISSP, et al.
CCSI/JNCI-M/JNCI-ER
VP - Technical Training - IPexpert, Inc.
IPexpert Sr. Technical Instructor

A Cisco Learning Partner - We Accept Learning Credits!

smorris at ipexpert.com

Telephone: +1.810.326.1444
Fax: +1.810.454.0130
http://www.ipexpert.com