[c-nsp] PBR and BGP Question

Jason Ford jason at chatinara.com
Mon Jan 21 13:28:27 EST 2008

All,

I have a need to direct traffic from within our core routers out a
specific BGP peer unless that peer is down. Here is the setup..

customer network ---> core router 03 and core router 04 --------> border
router 01 and border router 02 ---------> our bgp peers..

Basically, the customer is connected to two 6500's running eigrp
sessions with the border routers. The border routers are running BGP and
eigrp. Border router 01 has a BGP connection to ISP A and Border router
02 has a BGP connection to ISP B.  All routers are meshed together via
GE. Core Routers are 6500's with sup1a/msfc2's fully upgraded with
memory (yeah.. I know it should be upgraded to a sup2) and the border
routers are 6500's with sup2/msfc2 also fully upgraded with memory.

Ok, here is the question. If we would like to route all of the
customer's traffic out ISP B unless it is down, is a PBR on the border
routers identifying the source address and setting a next hop the best
way of doing this? We don't care which ISP the incoming traffic goes to
but want to control the outgoing traffic.

Hopefully that gets the question across without a network diagram.

Thanks for all who read and respond.

jason