[c-nsp] PBR and BGP Question

Pete S. pshuleski at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 19:50:44 EST 2008

How are you getting the default route into your core?

If your ISP border routers, and core are running iBGP, simply use the
local preference variable in BGP to send out the prefered ISP.   If
that ISP connection goes down, the next highest local pref will become
the default.

Depending on the routes you're receiving, and redistributing...If
you're redistributing your BGP into an IGP, you can announce two
default routes into your IGP, one with a higher metric, from each
border router running BGP.  in case of ISP failure, your traffic will
get up to the ISP border routers, and then hopefully have a more
specific route between iBGP, if one ISP connection were down.  Traffic
would then take its course back to the ISP border router with the
active ISP connection.

You can also play with EEM(I can't recall if its in the Sup1 or 2, but
I'd wager no) to pull the default route from the isp border router, if
the BGP session were to drop on that router, and then re-insert it
when BGP session reconnects.

--Pete