[c-nsp] cisco 3560 layer3 performance

Mark Kent mark at noc.mainstreet.net
Mon Jan 21 22:31:19 EST 2008

Hello,

I've got a cisco 3560 (WS-C3560G-48TS-S) pulling in
(80Mbs, 6500pps) on one switch port, and sending it
out a trunk... cpu load is 5%.

Another cisco 3560, pulling in that same traffic on a trunk and
sending it out a layer3 point-to-point gigE is running at 70 to 80%
(cpu hog is "IP Input").

In fact, the cpu load is roughly the same as the Mbs load.  50Mbs = 50%.

Now, I know it's a small switch in the cisco line.
But wouldn't we expect it to do a fair bit better than this?
It looks like it will crap out at 100Mbs of layer3 traffic.

Thanks,
-mark