[c-nsp] BGP load sharing accross 2 different providers

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Jan 22 11:49:30 EST 2008

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, Mohamed Ahmad wrote:

> I was wondering what's the best way of load sharing traffic across 2 bgp
> sessions with 2 different isp's (different AS numbers) but same bandwidth (1
> Gbps). I found this article but not sure if anyone has tried this before:
>
> http://www.ccnalab.net/load_sharing_bgp.php

Maybe I'm just old-school, but I think configuring speed and duplex
negotiation on fast ethernet interfaces on routers, if they're connecting
to other routers and switches, is a bad idea, but I digress...

The article does make two important points:
1. you will need your own AS number, registered with whatever Internet
Registry serves your area.
2. you will need at least a /24 of routable address space to advertise to
your upstreams.  This can be assigned from an upstream, or if you have
your own provider independent assignments already, that will work too.

> I have also found this Cisco article which uses a different method:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/459/40.html#conf4

You can do load sharing to two different upstreams using BGP - this is a
pretty common design.  It's important to note that "load sharing" will
in all likelihood not result in a perfect 50-50 distribution of inbound
and outbound traffic across both links, nor should you expect this.  Also
note that to achieve some level of load sharing, you will need to take
more than just a default route from your upstreams.  You don't
necessarily need to take full routes from your upstreams, unless you're
providing full BGP routes to downstream customers.

jms