[c-nsp] Differences between WS-C3750E & WS-C3750G switches

Matthew Crocker mcrocker at crocker.com
Fri Jan 25 13:56:17 EST 2008

>> I plan on using the switch as '48 port GigE routers'  assigning a /30
>> to each GigE port on the switch with an uplink port going to my
>> 'core'
>> and talking OSPF with my 'border' routers (GSR8 & Juniper J6350).  My
>> border speaks BGP with my peers and OSPF internally.  The 3750s will
>> speak OSPF and have 1-2k routes installed from the local network
>> (ISP/
>> Datacenter)
>
> Both versions can do this equally "well", considering they're not
> "real"
> routers. As long as you just need basic layer 3 switching you're fine,
> even though 48 routed interfaces means that you can't expect to use a
> lot of TCAM-dependent features. The E-version is supposed to be able
> handle full wire rate forwarding, don't know if the "classic" version
> also does this. But' you'll probably have core congestion before you
> notice that. :-)

If I place a /30 (or /31) on every interface I'll end up with 50 SVI
(48 customers + 2 uplincs) on the router correct?  Will that force the
router to go into software forwarding mode or are the 3750s free of
that limitation.  I know the 3550  has issues with too many SVIs

Any other alternatives to a 48 port GigE router?  I'm looking at the
WS-C4948 as well but the budget is only so big.

-Matt