[c-nsp] counterfeit?

Jason Gurtz jasongurtz at npumail.com
Fri Jan 25 15:39:43 EST 2008

> I don't know if the secret key has been compromised, or if the cloners
> just have access to a really large sample set, but these days they
> seem to have no problem defeating the check and producing Cisco-branded
> optics which work in any system.

Back when I was doing my "pre-ebay" research (was buying some used Cisco
gear for home) I came across stories of the actual Cisco contracted
manufacturers running a "fourth shift," with which they churn out some
numbers of off the book production that goes directly on the black market.

Of question, is if this style of counterfeit gear is the testing rejects
or just serial number forgeries.

~JasonG