[c-nsp] counterfeit?

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Sat Jan 26 09:43:37 EST 2008

Jason Gurtz wrote:
>> I don't know if the secret key has been compromised, or if the cloners
>> just have access to a really large sample set, but these days they
>> seem to have no problem defeating the check and producing Cisco-branded
>> optics which work in any system.
>
> Back when I was doing my "pre-ebay" research (was buying some used Cisco
> gear for home) I came across stories of the actual Cisco contracted
> manufacturers running a "fourth shift," with which they churn out some
> numbers of off the book production that goes directly on the black market.

That's hardly truth, as whole process is strictly supervised. However,
there are known companies far away in China, that are actually
producing the copies of 1700, 2600 routers, Catalyst 2950 switches,
some 4500 linecards and most of the older modules (NMs, WICs, etc). So,
Cisco added hadware counterfeit protection starting from the older
3560/3750 switches, and now it's present in all modern switches and
modules. Another batch of "original" comes from equipment that was
repaired by technically-skilled people and actually works (but who may
know how long).

--
"Don't expect me to cry for all the     |               Łukasz Bromirski
  reasons you had to die" -- Kurt Cobain |    http://lukasz.bromirski.net