[c-nsp] S/W for ASA 5550

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Mon Jan 28 07:51:13 EST 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 15:48 -0500, Justin M. Streiner wrote:
> I can't speak specifically about the 5550, but I have other ASA 5500
> series boxes running on 7.2(2) and 7.2(3) with no complaints.  As always,
> your mileage may vary and I would balance stability against security, so
> definitely do a bug scrub on the versions of code that you're considering.

We're running 7.2(2) in two data centers ourselves and it works without
problems so far. (The only error we've run into was the snmp-server host
limit mentioned a short while ago on this list.)

So I think 7.2(3) it is. Thanks both. :-)

On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 15:55 -0500, christian wrote:
> not sure how the 5580's compare, i havent really looked into them much
> yet, but pricing is around 50k for the 5580-20 and 100k for the
> 5580-40 i THINK

That's not really bad, considering the performance. I'll ask my local
equipment pusher for details.

On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 15:48 -0500, Justin M. Streiner wrote:
> I have several FWSMs in production but I haven't been able to stress them
> to the point where I can say whether the numbers in the data sheets are
> legit.  If I find out one way or the other, I'll let the list know :)

We've tried pushing a couple of Gigs through an FWSM without problems.
Now we're facing a medical imaging project saying they'll collect around
100 TB per year with some nice peaks, and we're wondering if we have to
route traffic around the data center firewalls to make sure performance
is okay for the rest of the servers...

I wish they made a CEF720 FWSM with the 5580-40 performance. :-)

Regards,
Peter