[c-nsp] Nexus 7000

Aamer Akhter (aakhter) aakhter at cisco.com
Tue Jan 29 08:11:45 EST 2008

There are some techniques that one can use to scale something like this. One could use a UDP loadbalancer to a complex for collectors to distribute the load.

The cisco NFC does support this model with hiearchrial collectors, as other collector implementations do as well. The one thing you have to look out for is wheter the individual collector is doing some kind of aggregation before sending the data to a higher hierarchy. In such a case you could wind up with misweighted data. Also keep in mind the licensing models for some of the collector software (cisco nfc is per collector install, others are per router port, or per routing device).

Cisco NFC can run on a variety of machines (an actual appliance is not sold, just the software), so a single box's scale could be quite high. I don't have the numbers on a reference system though.

Regards,

Aamer Akhter / aa at cisco.com
Ent & Commercial Systems, cisco Systems