[c-nsp] Nexus 7000

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at cisco.com
Tue Jan 29 10:24:25 EST 2008

On Jan 29, 2008, at 7:59 PM, James Humphris wrote:

> What type of hardware platform would I need to use as a collector if I
> enabled netflow (or even sampled netflow) on a number of these devices
> in my data centre!?!

In addition to Aamer's comments in re Cisco NFC, commercial folks such
as Arbor, Lancope, Mazu, Narus, Q1, et. al. have various scalable
options for collection/analysis.  One can also scale the various open-
source solutions based upon choice of hardware/OS.

With regards to telemetry volume, folks really need to start thinking
about scaling their DCNs (vital telemetry such as NetFlow should be
sent over the DCN, not in-band on the production network, for obvious
reasons) to accommodate higher volumes with higher speeds, as well as
increased amounts of information from features like FNF, the NetFlow-
based layer-7-type reportage via NetFlow v9 transport of the new ASA
and the SCE, et. al.  The growing sentiment seems to be that
classification capabilities *must* keep up with the higher link speeds
which are becoming more commonplace.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at cisco.com> // 408.527.6376 voice

	Culture eats strategy for breakfast.

           -- Ford Motor Company