[c-nsp] IP Tracking Software

Ray Burkholder ray at oneunified.net
Tue Jan 29 14:05:20 EST 2008

http://www.oneunified.net/blog/OpenSource/Debian/AddressManagement/index.blo
g (See the 2007 June 29 entry) (Constructive criticism on the 2007 Sept 14
article are welcome as well).

I've diagrammed a table relationship for something that covers many of the
concepts asked for below.   A few things missing though:  multiple ip
address assignment to one interface needs to be confirmed, a method for
multiple host names needs to be refined (perhaps the requestor could refine
that relationship better).

The concept is to provide live documentation infrastructure and diagrams for
ip addresses, circuits, hosts, interfaces, and patch panels.  With this
basic data infrastructure in place, then additional interactive features can
easily and effectively be integrated:  network inspection for mac/arps,
network weathermaps, host activity/monitoring, (Cricket/Cacti-like
functions), (NetDisco-like functions), netflow ip mapping to hosts, packet
inspection (http header examination) mapping to hosts and circuits, ....

I am in the beginning phases of coding.  I expect to have basic stuff in
place during second, most likely third quarter this year. It won't be
pretty, but will have basic functionality.  It is ultimately meant to be a
multi-user scalable open source solution.

I'm open to suggestions of development support.

Ray.