[c-nsp] OSPF router gets separated from a broadcast domain

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Tue Jan 29 14:15:58 EST 2008

Hi Gabor,

I can't see how you could avoid this problem. If you have the following:

          Host1    Host2
            v        v
RTR-A <-> SW-A <-> SW-B <-> RTR-B

and you break the link between SW-A and SW-B, what would you suggest
would determine if RTR-A or RTR-B is the "correct" one to announce the
net? You have a scenario called "segmentation", and there's no easy
resolution.

If there are no "Host1"s you use SW-A as a simple bridge, a little like
using an IMC McBasic media converter, and then you need some "poisoning"
feature, like their "LinkLoss".

If you have both "Host1"s and "Host2"s, which ones would you like to not
have any connection to the outside world?

Regards,
Peter