[c-nsp] Nexus 7000

David Sinn dsinn at dsinn.com
Tue Jan 29 15:13:28 EST 2008

On Jan 29, 2008, at 11:51 AM, Peter Lothberg wrote:

>> Tim Stevenson wrote:
>>> At 10:18 PM 1/28/2008 -0600, mack observed:
>>>
>>> NO MPLS (though the h/w is capable). No immediate plans for it
>>> either.
>>
>> This would be a show-stopper for us in our Data Center.  We have to
>> have
>> MPLS support for MPLS VPN.  How else are they planning on maintaining
>> VRF separation between customers across multiple chassis in a hosted
>> environment?  The only other option would be to use the Nexus as a
>> dumb
>> L2 switch with a 6500 upstream for all L3VPN functionality.  I would
>> imagine the Nexus would be a rather expensive dumb L2 switch.  What
>> about extending the customer's VRF to a sister DC in a
>> geographically-diverse location?  MPLS again.
>
> You don't need MPLS to do this, any encpsulation works. For example
> there are large world_wide deployments providing this using L2TPv3 as
> transport.

While you don't _need_ MPLS to do this, it is one of the most common
technology's to support L2 and L3 VPN services.  It happens to be one
of the more supported then say L2TPv3 is.  So from a "how do I fit
this into what I've already been doing for the last few year", this
misses the boat.  It won't fit into my gigapop and it won't work on my
campus without MPLS.

I'd love to be doing the prefect technology, but I've implemented what
works and I can get on multiple platforms and vendors.

David