[c-nsp] 2611XM throughput

Adam Greene maillist at webjogger.net
Tue Jan 29 19:47:02 EST 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to determine what kind of throughput we can expect from a 2611XM currently in production (IOS 12.3(24), 128MB RAM). The router is doing eBGP to two peers but only advertises one network and receives default routes only. Other than that it's plain vanilla.

Cisco's router performance guide rates this router at 10.24Mbps (is that one direction at a time or bidirectional, I wonder) with an avg packet size of 64bytes. Judging from the # of packets and the # of bytes transferred on the unit's WAN interface, I'm calculating average packet size at about 154bytes per packet.

Based on these specs, would it be realistic to expect the router could push about 25Mbps aggregate (for example, 12.50Mbps in both directions simultaneously)?

Thanks for your insight.

Adam