[c-nsp] 2611XM throughput

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Tue Jan 29 20:09:45 EST 2008

Adam,

I had an identically configured 2611XM in service a couple years ago.
The CPU maintained 70-90% during peak times.  At the time that was with
about 8Mbps passing through it.  One night when the router reached just
under 10Mbps the CPU pegged at 100% (usually I only see Cisco IOS
devices report 99% but this one said 100%) and fell off the network (I'm
assuming that OSPF timed out).  The ensuing flood of packets from behind
the router (cable modem network with about 400 users) easily exceeded
the pps of the router and kept the CPU pegged generating ICMP
Destination Unreachables.  Even consoling into the poor thing was
pointless as it took a couple minutes to output a single character to
the CLI.  It had 2 ACLs of about 40 lines combined and was running OSPF
with one neighbor (50 routes).  I had a replacement 2821 overnighted to
me the next day and I replaced the 2611XM that night.  The performance
difference was very noticeable, even with the same approximate
throughput.  The 2611XM introduced significant delay.  IMHO the 10Mbps
ceiling is absolute if not exceedingly generous.

The 2611XM is good as a CE with a couple T1s.  Beyond that toss it on
your pile of 2500s and go buy an ISR.

Justin