[c-nsp] Cisco VSS monitoring through Syslog/SNMP-traps

Anthony Guéneau anthony.gueneau at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 06:35:11 EDT 2008

Hi,

Does anybody know what syslog messages are supposed to be sent when a VSS
failover occurs?
Would it be easier to monitor it through SNMP traps? In that case what kind
of traps should I enable and what are the corresponding OID to handle from
the server?
The main idea is to detect any failures within the VSS domain. I identified
3 types of failures I would need to detect thanks to the syslog messages or
SNMP-traps. Then, corresponding alarms will be generated. Here they are:
-> Active Supervisor Engine Failure (=Active Virtual Switch Chassis Failure)
-> Hot-standby Supervisor Engine Failure (=Standby Virtual Switch Chassis
Failure)
-> Complete VSL Failure (Dual Active)

If someone knows or identified syslog messages and/or SNMP traps
corresponding to each of these three failures, could you please get back to
me with these informations?
Many thanks.

Anthony