[c-nsp] Error

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Tue Jul 1 13:17:25 EDT 2008

Ziv Leyes wrote:
> I have the same fixed IP address at home for 3 years now and I also get mailer error messages lately claiming that MY message didn't reach the recipient and the reasons are many, such as unknown user, mailbox over quota, out of office auto reply, some are from anti-spam systems, but all of them are sent back to me because the sender address is my e-mail address, and the mail was sent from a lot of ip addresses, none of them are even close to mine. So I guess someone is using my e-mail address for sending spam, and I guess I'm not the only one, The reason for spammers to use a valid e-mail address is quite clear, a lot of anti-spam systems perform this kind of check, to see if the sender's address is real and has good "reputation"
>
> Damn them!

Damn both the spammers and the broken mail servers that accept the mail
first and then bounce it back to the forged "sender", thus being a
secondary source of spam.

The receiving mail system upon getting mail for an unknown user, mailbox
full, or anti-spam detection should reject the mail immediately, not
accept it and then later attempt to bounce it back to the purported sender.

Don't even get me started on "out of office" autoresponders.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net