[c-nsp] GPON

Charles N Wyble charles at thewybles.com
Wed Jul 9 12:26:48 EDT 2008

Hope the resource recommendation helps. :)

Charles Wyble

Mike Johnson wrote:
> Does anybody have any GPON experience on the list?

I don't have any hands on experience with GPON or any PON as of yet
unfortunately. APON is sweeping the United States. Wish they had gone
with E/G PON. Ah well.
> If so I am looking for Pros and Cons for implementing this for the CAN.

Pros and Cons of PON vs what? You looking to provide broadband to end
users? What type of area (rural/suburban/cbd)? Etc.

> Is there a power savings or the power requirement just pushed out to the
> desktop?

Well there are certainly power savings as the equipment is passive. Are
you looking to deploy this in a service provider environment (I presume
you are based on the nature of this list), or in an internal enterprise
network (you mention pushing power out to the desktop).

> hardware required to build a PON? OLTs, ONT/ONUs, splitters?

I just read a fantastic book on EPON and highly recommend it. It covers
various other standards etc (including GPON).
Amazon link: *http://tinyurl.com/5okll7
*I checked it out from the Los Angeles Public Library. So your local
library may have it as well. Or I suppose your company could purchase
it. Might be available on Safari.

--
Charles N Wyble (818) 280-7059
http://charlesnw.blogspot.com