[c-nsp] GPON

Mike Johnson harbor235 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 12:44:21 EDT 2008

Charles,

APON vs GPON

Verizon is installing GPON via there FIOS product in the east as of 2008,
previously they were installing
BPON. I cannot speak of the other providers

PROs and CONs for deploying GPON to the desktop for a large CAN

Power savings yes for the passive equipment but the OLTs and ONT/ONUs do
require power as well
as the managemnet systems required to provision.monitor etc ..

Would it save power if there were no access switches in the mix? Instead of
aggregating
users to access switches build a PON, power requirements are then pushed to
the desktop.
Is this a better solution? does it really save power?  increase/decrease
cost per port?

thanx for the input

harbor235 ;}