[c-nsp] High temperatures on cisco 6504-E chassis

Koen k.vdh at solcon.nl
Thu Jul 10 05:46:03 EDT 2008

Hi all,

We got 2 WS-C6504-E chassis both with 1 sup 7203CXL and 2 WS-X6748-GE-TX
and we see that the asic temperature is always higher then 40C which is
the max operational temperature according to the docs.

vss>show environment switch 1 temperature
  chassis id 1 switch_id 1

   switch 1 module 1 outlet temperature: 40C
   switch 1 module 1 inlet temperature: 30C
   switch 1 module 1 device-1 temperature: 31C
   switch 1 module 1 device-2 temperature: 38C
   switch 1 module 1 asic-1 temperature: 59C
   switch 1 module 1 asic-3 temperature: 42C
   switch 1 module 1 asic-4 temperature: 59C
   switch 1 module 1 RP outlet temperature: 34C
   switch 1 module 1 RP inlet temperature: 32C
   switch 1 module 1 EARL outlet temperature: 31C
   switch 1 module 1 EARL inlet temperature: 28C
   switch 1 module 2 outlet temperature: 41C
   switch 1 module 2 inlet temperature: 29C
   switch 1 module 3 outlet temperature: 39C
   switch 1 module 3 inlet temperature: 28C
vss>show environment switch 2 temperature
  chassis id 2 switch_id 2

   switch 2 module 1 outlet temperature: 42C
   switch 2 module 1 inlet temperature: 32C
   switch 2 module 1 device-1 temperature: 36C
   switch 2 module 1 device-2 temperature: 41C
   switch 2 module 1 asic-1 temperature: 61C
   switch 2 module 1 asic-3 temperature: 45C
   switch 2 module 1 asic-4 temperature: 58C
   switch 2 module 1 RP outlet temperature: 39C
   switch 2 module 1 RP inlet temperature: 38C
   switch 2 module 1 EARL outlet temperature: 38C
   switch 2 module 1 EARL inlet temperature: 33C
   switch 2 module 2 outlet temperature: 45C
   switch 2 module 2 inlet temperature: 30C
   switch 2 module 3 outlet temperature: 44C
   switch 2 module 3 inlet temperature: 24C

The fan-trays being used:
switch 1 fan-tray 1:
   switch 1 fan-tray 1 type: FAN-MOD-4HS
   switch 1 fan-tray 1 mode: High-power
   switch 1 fan-tray 1 fan-fail: OK
switch 2 fan-tray 1:
   switch 2 fan-tray 1 type: FAN-MOD-4HS
   switch 2 fan-tray 1 mode: High-power
   switch 2 fan-tray 1 fan-fail: OK

We tried almost everything like opening the server closets (we even got
ride of the side panels), adding more cooling with apc fan units, etc,
but we don't seem to get it lower then above temperatures. We think it
is a internal air flow problem in the chassis... Do you guys also see
these high temperatures?
Thanks,

Koen