[c-nsp] WCCP with a PIX-515 and CE-590, any config suggestions to make this play?

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Sat Jul 12 02:12:54 EDT 2008

.. i just saw this post.

*puts on WCCP hat, wishes he had a PIX hat to put on*

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008, ghostonthewire wrote:
> hi, Howard.
>
> Howard Leadmon wrote:
> >On the CE I have the following in the config:
> >!
> >http proxy incoming 80
> >!
> >wccp router-list 1 xx.xx.xx.xx     (xx is the IP address of the PIX)

^-- right, so is the cache registering?

> >wccp web-cache router-list-num 1
> >wccp version 2

Ok.

> >On the PIX I have the following.
> >
> >!
> >wccp web-cache
> >wccp interface LAN web-cache redirect in

.. which should redirect traffic from all LAN ports to the WCCP cache,
and hopefully not redirect traffic from the cache itself.

> >Where of course LAN is my inside interface on my network.
> >
> >Maybe I am missing something, but from all I can find, making the two talk
> >WCCP to each other to cache web requests looks like it should be that
> >simple.   As I am not having much luck, I figured I'd see if anyone here
> >has
> >worked with this combination before, and what you did to get it all going..

if this were a router, I'd do:

"show ip wccp web-cache detail"

to see if the router is seeing the cache, see what redirection/assignment method
its chosen, and make sure that its actively redirecting traffic -to- the thing.

> wccp web-cache redirect-list webcache_redirect group-list webcache_group
>
> statement, where webcache_redirect -- source addresses you wanna perform
> caching for, and webcache_group lists your cache engines.

I know the -routers- don't require a web cache group to be defined (but its a
good thing to do, much like enabling MD5 auth :) but I haven't got a PIX
yet to test it out on.

Adrian