[c-nsp] Shape an L3 interface to 100mbit

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Tue Jul 15 08:25:33 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 21:57 +1000, Kurt Bales wrote:
> I have a situation where my upstream is policing my connection to 100mb. I
> have a GigE interconnect to them, and we are currently connected at 1gb/full
> duplex.  I have been requested to shape the traffic leaving our interconnect
> to 100mb so as to reduce the performance issues caused by packet loss etc
> caused by policing.
>
> What is the easiest way to apply 100mb shaping to an L3 (no switchport)
> interface on a 3560G?

You could use shaped SRR:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_35_se/configuration/guide/swqos.html
http://tinyurl.com/6y8qer

Since the buffers on the 3560G probably aren't that big, you could run
into trouble, but it's the simplest way to do it.

If the policing is giving you trouble, you could ask them to adjust
burst sizes and things like that until you could were satisfied.

Regards,
Peter