[c-nsp] Shape an L3 interface to 100mbit

Kurt Bales kwbales at kwbales.net
Tue Jul 15 07:57:21 EDT 2008

Hey Guys,

I have a situation where my upstream is policing my connection to 100mb. I
have a GigE interconnect to them, and we are currently connected at 1gb/full
duplex.  I have been requested to shape the traffic leaving our interconnect
to 100mb so as to reduce the performance issues caused by packet loss etc
caused by policing.

What is the easiest way to apply 100mb shaping to an L3 (no switchport)
interface on a 3560G?

The speed of this link could change in the near future (over the next couple
of days) so I would prefer to use QoS rules to apply shaping to this
interface as opposed to forcing the interconnect to 100/Full (which would be
of no use if the link changed to 250mb).

Regards,

K.