[c-nsp] ASA Question - Antivirus

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Tue Jul 15 09:45:59 EDT 2008

Hi folks...

We have a customer looking for a new firewall but it must have antivirus on
it.  The AV cannot be on the fly specifically but on the desktop.  Their
currently solution forces their desktops to have a specific Antivirus agent
installed and updated.  This is something similar to the NAC solution
today....

I'm looking at Cisco ASA 5520 Appliance Content Security Edition Bundle
(Includes CSC-SSM-10, 50-user antivirus/anti-spyware license with 1-year
subscription service*, firewall services, 750 IPsec VPN peers, 2 SSL VPN
peers, 4 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces, and 1 Fast Ethernet interface)
ASA5520-CSC10-K9

Does anyone know how the antivirus/antispyware works on these?  I've read
through numerous marketing material but it's not clear where this is all
done on the fly or if it's desktop agent based?

Thanks in advance,

Paul Stewart