[c-nsp] 7600, SRB3, high CPU on "BGP Event"

Christian Bering CB at nianet.dk
Fri Jul 18 14:33:51 EDT 2008

Hi all,

After upgrading a SUP720-3BXL to SRB3, CPU utilization has gone up quite
a bit. The CLI is extremely slow and the input lag is awful.

The process eating up most of the CPU is the "BGP Event" which seems to
run quite often and every time it does, I get the following messages
from 'debug ip bgp event':

Jul 18 20:27:02.430 MET-DST: EvD: charge penalty 500, new accum. penalty
3447, flap count 40165
Jul 18 20:27:02.430 MET-DST: EvD: charge penalty 500, new accum. penalty
3947, flap count 40166
Jul 18 20:27:02.430 MET-DST: EvD: charge penalty 500, new accum. penalty
4447, flap count 40167

EvD isn't enabled on the box and searching CCO for it shows me an
interface ought to be involved in it if it was:

00:07:17:EvD(Ethernet1/1):charge penalty 1000, new accum. penalty 1000,
flap count 1

But I have no interfaces flapping and I am puzzled why I am seeing these
messages when debugging BGP events. What would be the cause of these
messages and is it likely they are responsible for the high CPU
utilization?

Thanks in advance,

--
Regards