[c-nsp] 7600, SRB3, high CPU on "BGP Event"

Andrey Oleinik Andrey_Oleinik at bms-consulting.com
Mon Jul 21 02:42:58 EDT 2008

Chris,
Some interfaces (like Eth) doesn't provide us with connectivity status at IP level. So U unnecessary need to have ur Ethernet to be flapping to lose IP-connectivity, correct? But I think U just have ur RIB rebuilt too fast due to flaps somewhere behind of ur neis.

--
Respect,  Andy Oleynik
Telecom Dpt Chief

andyo> -----Original Message-----
andyo> From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net [mailto:cisco-nsp-
andyo> bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Christian Bering
andyo> Sent: Friday, July 18, 2008 9:34 PM
andyo> To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
andyo> Subject: [c-nsp] 7600, SRB3, high CPU on "BGP Event"
andyo>
andyo> Hi all,
andyo>
andyo> After upgrading a SUP720-3BXL to SRB3, CPU utilization has gone up
andyo> quite
andyo> a bit. The CLI is extremely slow and the input lag is awful.
andyo>
andyo> The process eating up most of the CPU is the "BGP Event" which
andyo> seems to
andyo> run quite often and every time it does, I get the following
andyo> messages
andyo> from 'debug ip bgp event':
andyo>
andyo> Jul 18 20:27:02.430 MET-DST: EvD: charge penalty 500, new accum.
andyo> penalty
andyo> 3447, flap count 40165
andyo> Jul 18 20:27:02.430 MET-DST: EvD: charge penalty 500, new accum.
andyo> penalty
andyo> 3947, flap count 40166
andyo> Jul 18 20:27:02.430 MET-DST: EvD: charge penalty 500, new accum.
andyo> penalty
andyo> 4447, flap count 40167
andyo>
andyo> EvD isn't enabled on the box and searching CCO for it shows me an
andyo> interface ought to be involved in it if it was:
andyo>
andyo> 00:07:17:EvD(Ethernet1/1):charge penalty 1000, new accum. penalty
andyo> 1000,
andyo> flap count 1
andyo>
andyo> But I have no interfaces flapping and I am puzzled why I am seeing
andyo> these
andyo> messages when debugging BGP events. What would be the cause of
andyo> these
andyo> messages and is it likely they are responsible for the high CPU
andyo> utilization?
andyo>
andyo> Thanks in advance,
andyo>