[c-nsp] Help with multilink ppp, routing not working correctly..

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sun Jul 20 04:25:17 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 05:44:29PM -0400, Howard Leadmon wrote:
>  Thanks for the reply.  To answer your questions, yes I have ip routing on
> the router, as all the other stuff is working.

The point of the "ip routing" command is to switch from "host" mode
(the box will speak IP, but not *forward* IP packets) to "router" mode
(forward).

This was a pretty long shot, but it would match the behaviour you've
seen - interfaces coming up, ping working fine, but no packets being
forwarded.

[..]
>  Also as a follow-up on the situation, I tore down the Multilink bundle, and
> took a single T1, and put it loaded the /30 that was on the Multilink
> interface on it.  When I did that the single T1 line came up, and routed
> perfectly.  So it's very much (be it a bug, or whatever) an issue with using
> Multilink.

Hmmm.  I have never used WAN modules on a RSM, so I'm not really sure how
well supported that stuff is.

>  I was going to just use CEF with per-packet across the lines to give them
> full utilization, but on the FlexWan controller, when I go into the
> interface config's and try and set that up, apparently the ONLY option is
> per-destination.  This is the older FlexWan board, so it's a WS-X6182-2PA
> card.  Do you or heck does anyone know if I replaced the controller with a
> 6582 would I be able to use per-packet on that?

As far as I understand the architecture, 6500 based stuff will never do
per-packet.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de