[c-nsp] Cisco/HP 3020 refuses telnet

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Sun Jul 20 19:38:09 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 16:15 -0700, matthew zeier wrote:
> I have a Cisco/HP 3020 blade chassis switch that all of a sudden stopped
> accepting telnet (because rancid started to fail config checks).
>
> Short of rebooting I'm not sure how to fix.  I can login on the console
> (using tacacs auth of all things, so IP works) and can ping it.  But
> telnet gives a connection refused.  I've even go so far as changing the
> IP address on fa0.
>
> Any clues/ideas?

How do you log in now? Through the management-webinterface? Can you see
the running config, and see if there are any "access-class" defined in
you "line vty" config that would deny you access?

I might also be "management-interface"-related. The IGESM switches we
use (mainly IBM) mostly only accept connections to the interface Vlan
marked with the "management" command. (Btw: Changing the management
interface is a little unintuitive, but well explained in the docs.)

Regards,
Peter