[c-nsp] Cisco/HP 3020 refuses telnet

matthew zeier mrz at velvet.org
Sun Jul 20 21:28:18 EDT 2008

Peter Rathlev wrote:
 > On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 16:15 -0700, matthew zeier wrote:
 >> I have a Cisco/HP 3020 blade chassis switch that all of a sudden stopped
 >> accepting telnet (because rancid started to fail config checks).
 >>
 >> Short of rebooting I'm not sure how to fix.  I can login on the console
 >> (using tacacs auth of all things, so IP works) and can ping it.  But
 >> telnet gives a connection refused.  I've even go so far as changing the
 >> IP address on fa0.
 >>
 >> Any clues/ideas?
 >
 > How do you log in now? Through the management-webinterface? Can you see
 > the running config, and see if there are any "access-class" defined in
 > you "line vty" config that would deny you access?
 >
 > I might also be "management-interface"-related. The IGESM switches we
 > use (mainly IBM) mostly only accept connections to the interface Vlan
 > marked with the "management" command. (Btw: Changing the management
 > interface is a little unintuitive, but well explained in the docs.)

I have four chassis and 8 of these switches all basically with the same
config.  Only one is no longer accepting telnet.  I can only login to it
from the serial console.

In fact, the first thing I checked with the vty and access list (there
isn't one) and then I diff'd the config to the other working switch in
that same chassis.

I hate these Cisco-but-not-really-Cisco switches so much (no TAC
support!).  I like the ease of wiring but they're such a pain that I've
now started buying the pass-through ethernet modules and running 32
cables to two 3650s!