[c-nsp] OT: Ethernet over DS3 or OC3 bridge

Shane Amante shane at castlepoint.net
Fri Jul 25 22:09:39 EDT 2008

Justin,

On Jul 25, 2008, at 5:32 PM, Justin Shore wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions for a Ethernet to DS3 or OC3
> bridge?  I need multiple DS3 support for the longer-term but a
> single DS3 would work.  I was looking at the Overture ISG 45 but it
> appears to only support a single DS3.
>
> http://www.overturenetworks.com/products/isg_45.htm
>
> I couldn't find a DS3 bridge for RAD but I think the Optimux-155 is
> a OC3 bridge.
>
> Basically I need an inexpensive way to transport Ethernet over TDM
> links for an Ethernet venture.  Our transport provider can't do
> Ethernet at this point in time and they've suggested DS3 in the mean
> time.  DS3 interfaces are very expensive for 7200s.  I'm thinking a
> lower cost DS3 to Ethernet bridge of some sort.  Suggestions?

If you want more DS3 ports, for N x DS3, perhaps an Overture ISG-2200
or ISG-5000:
http://www.overturenetworks.com/products/isg_2200.htm
http://www.overturenetworks.com/products/isg_5000.htm

Both are "modular" chassis.  The 2200 supports 1 "option slot" you can
install a 3-port DS3 card into to start with, then later pull it out
an insert a 1-port OC-3c into.  The 5000 is a 4-slot chassis.  Both
chassis work with the same modules.

-shane