[c-nsp] Netflow / 3560 platform

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Jul 31 09:33:48 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 09:10:31AM -0400, David Curran wrote:
> I would add that the 6500/7600 can "do" netflow but not well.  I think the
> true limitation is that these platforms are switches, not routers.  So as
> previous responses have stated, things are done in hardware, not software.
> Platforms without route processors would be hard pressed to due the
> necessary work to properly log and export flows.
>
> At least that's the excuse we get when we run into netflow issues on the
> 7600 platform...

Well, dunno about yours, but our 7600s seem to have route processors,
(*and* switch processors even) :-)

But indeed, hardware based netflow is prone to have *different* limitations,
when compared to a software based architecture.  The latter usually dies
when the load goes up too much...

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de