[c-nsp] Netflow / 3560 platform

David Curran dcurran at nuvox.com
Thu Jul 31 10:07:56 EDT 2008

Touche.  I was speaking of the smaller catalyst platforms.  However I'm not
sure its fair to real routers to call the Supervisors route processors.
That's like calling a Yugo a race car.  Sure, you COULD race it...

> From: Gert Doering <gert at greenie.muc.de>
> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 15:33:48 +0200
> To: David Curran <dcurran at nuvox.com>
> Cc: Gert Doering <gert at greenie.muc.de>, <cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net>
> Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Netflow / 3560 platform
>
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 09:10:31AM -0400, David Curran wrote:
>> I would add that the 6500/7600 can "do" netflow but not well.  I think the
>> true limitation is that these platforms are switches, not routers.  So as
>> previous responses have stated, things are done in hardware, not software.
>> Platforms without route processors would be hard pressed to due the
>> necessary work to properly log and export flows.
>>
>> At least that's the excuse we get when we run into netflow issues on the
>> 7600 platform...
>
> Well, dunno about yours, but our 7600s seem to have route processors,
> (*and* switch processors even) :-)
>
> But indeed, hardware based netflow is prone to have *different* limitations,
> when compared to a software based architecture.  The latter usually dies
> when the load goes up too much...
>
> gert
> --
>                                                            //www.muc.de/~gert/
> Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert at greenie.muc.de
> fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de

This email and any attachments ("Message") may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you are not the addressee, or if this Message has been addressed to you in error, you are not authorized to read, copy, or distribute it, and we ask that you please delete it (including all copies) and notify the sender by return email.  Delivery of this Message to any person other than the intended recipient(s) shall not be deemed a waiver of confidentiality and/or a privilege.