[c-nsp] Giving customers access to your gear.

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Jun 4 00:48:41 EDT 2008

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008, Richey wrote:

> I've got a customer with a T1.  They have been bought out by a large hotel
> chain.  They are pretty much demanding that they have SNMP full read access
> to our router that is at their location as well as a copy of the config for
> the router.   This is not their router, it is ours and we fully manage our

As long as you don't give them the clear text version of the enable
secret, they can't do any damage, so what's the concern?  Having been on
the customer end of this sort of arrangement long ago, I can understand
their concern.  They may want SNMP access for traffic/health graphing, and
a copy of the config simply for auditing purposes to satisfy themselves
that the config is "secure" enough.

I'm sure _you_ wouldn't do this, but if you (as the ISP) were to make
changes to your customer routes and break their internet connection, and
then have all of your noc staff go fishing for the day, if they customer
had enable, they could possibly fix their router...depending on how/where
you broke things.  I've been there...didn't have access, couldn't fix it,
and was not amused.

If they want access bad enough, since they do have physical access, they
could just reboot, change the config-register, and have a copy of the
config.

> router and hand them  Ethernet.     This seems a little odd that they want
> access to our gear, and I am not too keen on giving them access unless they
> are willing to accept some responsibility.   They don't want to accept any
> responsibility for the access they would have to this box.     They say that
> Verizion and AT&T don't have any problems giving them this kind of access to
> their gear.

If you give them enable, the rule is "you break it, you pay us to fix it".
I also highly recommend rancid, so when they do break it or monkey with it
in any way, you get notification, and can easily see and back out their
changes.