[c-nsp] Solution to %SPANTREE-2-RECV_PVID_ERR, except disable spanning tree?

Clinton Work clinton at scripty.com
Wed Jun 4 10:38:37 EDT 2008

Cisco PVST+ / RPVST do integrate the vlan ID into the bridge priority
(bit stealing), but that is a function of MAC reduction to support 4096
VLANs rather than PVST+ proper.  MAC reduction will do the same thing
with regular 802.1d BPDU priority values and you can interconnection two
Vlans with 802.1D without causing problems.  The PVST+/RPVST BPDU format
has an extra TLV added onto the end with an attribute called PVID.  The
PVID attribute is simply the vlan that the STP BPDU is intended for.
All the Spanning-Tree PVID error detection and messages are based upon
the PVID TLV.

Clinton.