[c-nsp] EoMPLS - 6509

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Thu Jun 5 04:14:21 EDT 2008

> I've been offered some cheap 6509's with the following kit (this is all
> the info I have at the moment on them)
>
> WS-C6509 Chassis 9 Slots
> Dual Redundant AC Power Maximum Uptime
> Supervisor 2 Engine with PFC2 and MSFC2 Dual Gig Uplink Port MultiLayer
> 96 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switching Ports
> 8 Gigabit Ethernet Ports 1000BaseX
> Bonus Switch Fabric 2 Module to provide dedicated bandwidth to each slot
> up to 256 Gbps per system
>
> I currently have a network composed of 6 site's connected to each other
> via microwave, the network is basically one large ring. Our customers
> purchase transit through us, some of them are now asking for a VPLS
> based service, at the moment each customer is just switched through a
> VLAN to their nominated access ports.
>
> We're beginning to look at MPLS, particulary EoMPLS, is the above kit
> enough to achieve this? We will be doing no more then 155mbit of
> traffic.

No. PFC2/MSFC2 cannot do MPLS. As a minimum you need an OSM card,
however this solution is absolutely not recommended. If you want to
do MPLS on the 6500/7600 platform today, you need Sup720/RSP720 with
3BXL or 3CXL. Watch out for the 6500/7600 split. Also not that you'll
need more capable cards than the standard "LAN" type cards for VPLS.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no