[c-nsp] bgp router

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Jun 5 04:34:01 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 09:43:54AM -0700, Rossella Mariotti-Jones wrote:
> This is good to know, thanks.
> We're going to have at least two ISPs possibly add more in the future,
> and a 100Mb pipe to it, which will grow to 200Mb soon. Right now we only
> have a DS3 and a lot of the times it gets up to 40Mb. I'm assuming we'll
> probably be pushing 80Mb easily pretty soon. This is our first BGP
> experience, we don't want to over buy but we also don't want to get
> stuck with a unit that's not going to be able to keep up.

My gut feeling is "go with a 7301 or 7200/NPE-G1".

Why?  Because it can deliver the 200 Mbit/s bandwidth, and it's a
"simple" architecture - everything is software, and there is lots less
hidden surprises than with the 6500/7600 platform.

If you need lots of ethernet ports, trunk one of the GigE ports from the
router to a L2 switch (2950T-24 or such), and use that to fan out all the
individual ports.

(If you need raw forwarding performance well over 500 Mbit/s, go for the
6500/7600, but read up on this mailing list archives beforehand.  There
is lots of decisions to make, and the political games played by Cisco
business units battling each other and damaging their customers in the
process is a big problem).

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de