[c-nsp] Aggregation for multiple ISDN customers

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Mon Jun 9 15:37:56 EDT 2008

root net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am not sure if this question has been asked before if so I apologize.  I
> was wanting some advice on aggregation.  I have some customers that want
> broadband but can not receive in this even T-1 or ISDN is an option.  Of
> course a T-1 is too expensive for the home user and the only option for us
> to provide the bandwidth to the customer is via an ISDN PTP loop.  There are
> maybe 10 to 15 wireless is not an option to to inform them about this to no
> avail.  How can we bring in the PTP ISDN lines on one circuit on our side,
> T-1 possibly?

"ISDN PTP loop" is somewhat confusing.  ISDN is normally a switched
service (and beware of per-minute charges, just like POTS).

There is IDSL which is a form of DSL which uses 2B1Q encoding to deliver
a 192 kbits/s symmetrical digital pipe.  The advantage of this over
traditional DSL is that ISDN BRI-type repeaters can be used to extend
the loop length.

I'm not certain how several of these loops would be aggregated directly
  on Cisco gear or if it is even possible.  Typically a
central-office-located DSLAM would have an IDSL line card to terminate
the loops and hand off to you as a PVC on an ATM aggregate circuit.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net