[c-nsp] RANCID Spiking CPUs

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Mon Jun 9 16:14:54 EDT 2008

Nick,

I run RANCID on my SP network and I too see the high CPU spikes.  Mine
actually clock in at 100% (high enough that it makes my 1m average
register 80% on some devices via sh pr cpu his (which means that it's
actually between 80 and 89%)).  I have a couple devices in particular
that it hits hard.  One is a 7206 (G1) with almost 15,000 lines of
config.  That other is a 3660 with over 18,000 lines of config.  I've
never had any trouble though and I poll my devices hourly.

I'm not aware of any way of throttling the access that VTYs have to the
control-plane.  In general I think the best approach is to make sure
that your IOS device is well-configured and tuned with performance in
mind.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios113ed/cs/csprtf/csprtf4/csperfrm.htm

For example, have you configured your routers to use the Nagle
algorithm?  I'd highly recommend looking into it.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=service+nagle&btnG=Google+Search

The first couple of hits (especially the Cisco Press one) give you good
info.

Justin