[c-nsp] RANCID Spiking CPUs

Nick Davey ndavey3 at cogeco.ca
Mon Jun 9 15:56:08 EDT 2008

Hi All,
I've deployed rancid on a fairly large metro network, and am seeing some
pretty high CPU averages. When RANCID runs the CPU's on a large number of
our boxes spike to about 95% for several seconds. Although they have never
hit 100%, or caused any issues (dropped OSPF hello's, stp bpdu's) I'm
concerned that this could happen under the right combination of events this
could result is dropped OSPF neighbor adjacency's or other badness.

I've tried to replicate the high CPU issue by pasting the commands in
manually however I haven't come anywhere close to the 95% I'm seeing when
RANCID runs them. I'm assuming this is just the frequency at which the
commands are run. Does anyone have any experience with this or any insight
they can provide?

Thanks,
Nick