[c-nsp] ATM to Frame internetworking

Paul A razor at meganet.net
Tue Jun 10 19:35:54 EDT 2008

Hi all, I'm  having a few problems with ATM to Frame and I'm hoping someone
here can help.

I have a customer DSL line that terminates on a cisco 7200, the 7200 is
doing Frame Relay-to-ATM Service Interworking (FRF.8).
On the 7200 I'm using a Multi-Channel T1/Pri card that connects to my frame
switch over a T1 cross connect cable that I made and tested.

DSL circuit----> 7200 --> Frame switch --> Customer Frame circuit

When I look at the 7200, I can see that the ATM pvc for the DSL circuit is
up but the serial interface associated with the multi-channel t1 card is
showing line up protocol down.
I'm thinking the issue at this point is between the 7200 and the frame
switch although I don't think it's the config, if it is I'm sure someone
will point it out.

No matter what I do I can't get protocol on the serial interface. I have
switched t1 x connect cables and double checked timing, frame switch is set
for internal timing while the 7200's serial is set for loop/line. Both
devices are set for b8zs/esf etc.

Here is the configuration on the 7200.

sh atm pvc 2/357
ATM5/0: VCD: 2, VPI: 2, VCI: 357
VBR-NRT, PeakRate: 384 (906 cps), Average Rate: 384 (906 cps)
Burst Cells: 64
AAL5-FRATMSRV, etype:0x15, Flags: 0x23, VCmode: 0x0, Encapsize: 0
OAM cells received: 34
OAM cell drops: 0

controller T1 6/0
 framing esf
 fdl ansi
 linecode b8zs
 cablelength short 133
 channel-group 0 timeslots 24

interface ATM5/0
 no ip address
 no ip redirects
 no ip unreachables
 ip route-cache policy
 ip route-cache flow
 load-interval 30
 no atm oversubscribe
 atm scrambling cell-payload
 atm uni-version 3.1
 atm ilmi-keepalive
 arp arpa
 arp timeout 0
pvc 2/357
  description To My DSL customer
  vbr-nrt 384 384 64
  encapsulation aal5mux fr-atm-srv

interface Serial6/0:0
 description For ADSL to FRAME Mappings - routed 1490
 bandwidth 1536
 no ip address
 encapsulation frame-relay IETF
 frame-relay interface-dlci 33 switched
 frame-relay lmi-type ansi
!

And lastly to map the atm to frame and translate it.

connect ADSL2FRAMEDPVC Serial6/0:0 33 ATM5/0 2/357 service-interworking

this is what im seeing because I'm assuming there's no protocol on the
serial interface.

sh controllers t1 6/0
T1 6/0 is up.
  Applique type is Channelized T1
  Cablelength is short 133
  No alarms detected.
  alarm-trigger is not set
  Soaking time: 3, Clearance time: 10
  AIS State:Clear  LOS State:Clear  LOF State:Clear

Serial6/0:0 is up, line protocol is down
  Hardware is Multichannel T1
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1536 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,
     reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
  Encapsulation FRAME-RELAY IETF, crc 16, Data non-inverted
  Keepalive set (10 sec)
  LMI enq sent  355, LMI stat recvd 0, LMI upd recvd 0, DTE LMI down

sh connection all

ID   Name               Segment 1            Segment 2           State