[c-nsp] 7200s (VXRs and not) and MPLS capabilities

Eric Kagan eklists at axsne.com
Fri Jun 13 11:21:57 EDT 2008

> Thanks for the replies.  This was exactly what I was looking for.  I'm
> familiar with the newer VXRs.  We have 2 7206VXRs w/ G1 which work
> great.  These older 7200 would be for a new venture that we're getting
> into.  The cost of placing cheap, lower-end 7200s at remote COs to
> terminate fewer customers in a CLEC arrangement may be cheaper than
> backhauling DS3s from the ILEC back to a central point and terminating
> them all on a new 7206VXR w/ a G2.  We're weighing both options.  The
> non-VXRs can be had for a song from one of our business
> affiliates which
> is why we're considering them.

I am not sure how much a "song" is these days, but I have seen pricing for
$5K for a VXR chassis and NPE-400 w/ 512 on refurb / secondary market -
which gives you *much* more flexibility and less hassles down the road.  It
also eliminates the need to get the NON-VXR's out (which you will probably
end up doing sooner than later and quickly regret the NON-VXR move).  We did
the same thing about 4 years ago and I swore at myself as I swapped out each
one with a VXR over the past 2 years......You need to take in to account of
the future work, problems, upgrades on the overall "cost" - not just the
maybe $1K vs roughly $5K initially.  Just my 2 cents

Eric