[c-nsp] Flex links with servers?

luismi asturluismi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 08:53:07 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I am trying to find a solution for an issue here, we have two servers
with the same IP address configuration, both should be connected to the
same switch but just one is physically connected (the active node) while
the other one (the passive node) is like a cold-backup, it is waiting to
be physically connected (or in the other hand, the switch port should be
enable with a "no shutdown" command)

Well, in both cases the solution -there is no way to create a cluster or
configure a keepalive/heartbeat between those servers- requires an human
intervention, so, I was thinking on use flex links but I have several
questions that I hope you can help me with them:

When the backup port is going to be enabled? does it requires a
down/down or just an up/down?

Is possible to configure a track or similar to verify the status of the
server or the port? (take note that the port and the switch have
different vlans)

The switch is a 2960G with the "lan base" IOS

If the switch doesn't support anything to track the port/server status,
is there any other Cisco switch platform available to do that?

Thanks for all comments, all are welcome to resolve this.

Regards