[c-nsp] Upgrading SUP720 to SUP720-3BXL while switch is hot..is it possible?

Marco van den Bovenkamp marco at linuxgoeroe.dhs.org
Thu Jun 19 17:57:15 EDT 2008

Richard J. Sears wrote:

> We have a 6500 switch in our network with two SUP720 engines running in
> SSO mode. One engine is Active and the other is Standby HOT. Engines are
> located in slot 5 and slot 6.
>
> We are also running NSF.
>
> I want to upgrade the engines to SUP720-3BXLs without taking the switch
> off line.

No can do. You cannot mix XL & non-XL supervisors in the same chassis.
The best you can do is preconfig the new sups, power down the switch,
put the new sups in and power it back on.

I've been through this an upgrade like it myself recently: pull
redundant sup, upgrade it to 3BXL, power down switch, swap upgraded sup
with active sup, power switch back on, upgrade second sup and plug it
back in.

		Regards,

			Marco.