[c-nsp] Upgrading SUP720 to SUP720-3BXL while switch is hot..is it possible?

Richard J. Sears rsears at adnc.com
Thu Jun 19 17:28:57 EDT 2008

We have a 6500 switch in our network with two SUP720 engines running in
SSO mode. One engine is Active and the other is Standby HOT. Engines are
located in slot 5 and slot 6.

We are also running NSF.

I want to upgrade the engines to SUP720-3BXLs without taking the switch
off line.

Both of the new engines have the necessary IOS on them.

What I was hoping to do was pull engine 2 out of slot 6, install one of
the new SUP720-3BXLs, wait for it to boot, then issue a wr m command on
the Active engine to sync the configuration to the new standby and then fail
over to engine 2 and do the same thing to engine 1 in slot 5.

I cannot seem to find instructions or advice as to if this will work or
not and figured I would shoot it out here before calling the TAC to see
what they say. I have seen the upgrade from SUP1 to SUP720, but not
SUP720 to SUP720-3BXL.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers