[c-nsp] Routing between VRF and non-VRF

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Fri Jun 20 04:43:41 EDT 2008

Garry wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing something here, but what's the "right" way of routing
> between VRF and non-VRF interfaces?

In my opinion, by being able to define a physical or logical interface
between them.

Which you can currently, at cost of handling the packet twice. Which is
silly, but you may be willing to pay that cost for your expected return.

Either with tunnels, or with any other two ethernet interface, two atm
interfaces. One side is in one vrf and the other in another or global.

You can route, you can nat, you can firewall, you can ACL, you can
account, you can graph, you treat it as an interface.

> I've tried different things to keep the actual
> transition between VRF and non-VRF on the same router

This works fairly well as proof of concept

ip vrf red
ip vrf blue
int l0
ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.255